Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Rusk County Heritage Syrup Festival
















I don't know how many other states do this, but it seems like every town in Texas has a festival each year. Some are a little unusual - when we were in Marshall, they had the "Fire Ant Festival" - if you ask me, you must be desperate for something to celebrate if you choose fire ants! But Henderson has the Syrup Festival each year, and we love it! It's very historical (so you know my parents love that part), and they have great food (Victor and I love that part!). My parents work one of the ticket gates each year and dress in their old-timey costumes. Mom got one of the ladies at Christian Women's Job Corps to make a dress for Victoria (doesn't she look like Laura Ingalls?). Victoria's favorite part was having the man make a broom for her! I don't think I have a picture of the syrup making, but Charlie loved that since it involved mules (anything with animals he loves!).

No comments: