Friday, January 2, 2009

The Shack

For anyone who might be wondering about the recent appearance and then subsequent disappearance of the book "The Shack" from our book list, this post is for you. Earlier last year a good friend recommended several books for me to read - "The Shack" was one of them. Having heard nothing about the book, I finally got around to checking it out of the library in December. By that time, I figured it was popular, since I was on a waiting list to get the book. I read it in about a week and a half (it's definitely a page-turner!). Now to understand my response to the book, you have to understand a little of my personality - I'm definitely a global thinker, not at all analytical by nature. So the emotional aspect of the book, the big picture, that's what I got when I read it - basically, let's move past the ritual, get focused on a real relationship with Christ. That's what I read. And so I posted it on the blog list (and mentioned it on facebook). Well, then I started to discover, thanks to some readers, that there are many others who did not read the book as I did. They read it from a theological, analytical point of view and found many questionable aspects. I'm not going to even attempt to argue for or against. I have no loyalty to "The Shack" or its author. It did not change my life - I believe the Bible is the only book capable of changing lives through God's power. I enjoyed reading the book (Victor has not yet done so - he's not much of a reader - maybe if they make a movie! :) ), but we will not be recommending the book. We certainly don't want to cause anyone to stumble. So thanks for the feedback!

2 comments:

Karen Butterworth said...

I've not read the book yet...I've heard both good and bad about it (which is typical). But I've been curious, because I have heard so much good and so much bad. So we shall see.

But I do tend to be a stickler on theology (studying and discussing theology is one of my great loves). So I might fall more into that camp! ;)

Guest of said...

I think we might be reading this in our small group this coming semester...I guess it will be interesting!

--Laura Ong