I promise, this one is not nearly as controversial as "The Shack." :) Several years ago, my wonderful sister and brother-in-law recommended a book to us - "Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Tedd Tripp. Great book - eye-opening, it explains how discipline is not just so we can have "well-behaved little children" - we are to use discipline to lead our children to see their sinfulness and their need for Christ, hoping and praying that they will choose to make a commitment to follow Christ. It's not "light" reading - it's heavy stuff and a lengthy book but worth the read. Victor and I have in the past and continue to highly recommend the book. But then last year my friend Emma and I were talking and she asked me if I had read "Don't Make Me Count to Three!" It does not sound like the type of book I would want to read! However, she assured me that it was completely in line with "Shepherding," so a couple of weeks ago, I bought it. . . It's so great! It takes the concepts of Tripp's book and brings them down to where you are in the daily grind of parenting - (example from the book - your three year old just told you that, no, they did not put your lipstick all over the dog - it was actually a small green man who did it - what do you do?). The author, Ginger Plowman, takes you through Scripture passages for a multitude of situations, teaches you how to practically apply the Scripture to each situation, to reach past the outward behavior of your child and dive deeply into those heart issues. It's funny, it's real, it's Biblical. So, read them both! But, I have to end with a reminder from Ginger Plowmen when you've just had one of those days where it seems all you've done is discipline children and you're wondering what your life has become and when it will all end - she says to remember James 1:2-4 "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." We are to thank God every time he gives us another opportunity to discipline our children and to point them to their need for Jesus by training them in His Word. Believe me, this week alone, I've had many, many opportunities, so I'm just remembering to consider it all joy!
Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp
Don't Make Me Count to Three by Ginger Plowman
1 comment:
Interesting. I have the Tripp book, and I never finished it. I am more a Dobson/Leman kind of girl (and my mom, who I figure knows everything one could possibly know about children!). But since you recommend it so highly, maybe I'll give Mr. Tripp another chance. Maybe I just didn't get far enough along to appreciate it properly.
The title of the 2nd book amuses me. :)
Post a Comment