Friday, May 29, 2009

Bad Mommy Syndrome

We were playing at the church playground this week when Charlie fell into a fire ant hill. Before I could scrape them all off of him, he had about 25 bites on his little hand! This is the third time this spring that's he's gotten into fire ants! We don't have any at our house, but it seems that wherever else we go, he is drawn to them like a magnet! Well, the day after it happened, we had to run some errands and I was just having one of those "I'm a terrible mommy" moments. His little hand was completely swollen - it didn't seem to bother him that much, but it looked awful! I dreaded having anyone else see it! But apparently this is a normal occurance here in Texas because the response we got were so nonchalant - "Looks like somebody got into some ants," "Oh, my granddaughter got bitten the other day, too." So thanks to the strangers who reminded me that I'm not a bad mommy, I'm just not a native Texan! (In Tennessee we have nice ants!)

No comments: