Monday, January 17, 2011
Dia de los Reyes
I love traditions - old and new! But I really want to emphasize meaningful traditions to my children. So one that we have decided to incorporate in our family is celebrating January 6 as the Dia de los Reyes (Day of the Kings). We had some friends over (I think there were around 38 people in our house!!!), talked about the visit of the wise men to see baby Jesus and the significance of that visit - Jesus came for ALL the world! Then we cut the "rosca de los reyes" - a baby (or in our case since the cake was so large, several babies) is hidden in the cake to symbolize the danger baby Jesus was in when he was born and the need to hide him from King Herod.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I have never heard of the baby hidden in the cake thing..very interesting...was that cake or bread or?
Thanks for sharing!
It was more like sweet bread! The non-hispanic kids (and most adults) didn't like it - needed icing or something, I guess! All the hispanics (mine included) loved it! Next year, I'll have to have some kind of toppings for all the gringos! :)
Post a Comment