Monday, January 17, 2011

My Lord is!

We have a new resource we're using in school this year - Celebrations of the Bible - all the Jewish festivals - history and activities. So we started with Hannukah. I learned a lot, and the kids had fun! We "lit" our menorah each day (hopefully we can find a real one next year!), the kids acted out the battle of the Maccabees (King Antiochus vs. Judah Maccabee), and Daddy even made us some latkes (potato pancakes). Some neighbors dropped by one day during our week-long celebration. I wish I had responded to their glance at our "menorah" by telling them that while we are not Jewish, our Lord is! Purim is coming up next!

2 comments:

Karen Butterworth said...

I LOVE Hanukkah! :) It is such a wonderful, fascinating story. And Sarah loved the latkes we made this year and the fact that she could read our Hanukkah picture book herself.

Epiphany is a neat tradition too. I've not heard of hiding a baby in the cake, but I guess that is part of the Mexican culture of the day?

Rodriguez family said...

It is!