Sunday, October 12, 2008

Date night

Victor and I went to see the movie "Fireproof" last night, and wow! What an incredible movie! As we watched in a completely packed theater, I just prayed that God would use it to reach someone. The gospel was presented so clearly. What a needed message in this day of no-fault divorces and cheap love! If you haven't seen it, check out their website at www.fireproofthemovie.com.

Well, after the movie we went to get ice cream and apple pies at McDonald's! See, we've been boycotting McDonald's because of their corporate and very public stance on homosexuality (check it out at the American Family Association website) - anyway, long story short, McD's released a statement last week saying they will now remain neutral on political issues and the boycott was lifted. We were pretty excited! (Victoria has been telling everyone that we can't go to McDonald's because they don't know God!) And just in case you doubt that you can make a difference or feel that the world is just too far gone, this gave me hope. I sent an email and called the corporate office, called our local McDonald's at the beginning of the boycott, emailed our playgroup, and told our Sunday school class. But a part of me just doubted that many Christians would really be willing to give up taking the kids to get a Happy Meal. Well, apparently enough of us took action to spur McD's to change some things. As I wrote in my email to the playgroup - Yeah!

1 comment:

Karen Butterworth said...

I'm having a good chuckle...because even though we signed the boycott pledge, McDonald's wouldn't have cared one bit. We never eat there anyway! I just hate their food. And Sarah doesn't care. All the fast food places offer kid-friendly meals and toys, so "McDonald's" per se means nothing to her. So I can't say that our part of the boycott made too much difference. I'm glad that other people's part did though! ;)