Several years ago, the local Methodist church held a Seder supper (Passover) here in town. My parents went and were just very impressed with the whole thing. So, ever since then, we have celebrated Passover each year with them - usually just our family. As my mom says, we're not Jewish but through Jesus we were grafted into the vine! I love the symbolism of it all - I think Baptists have moved so far away from anything that might be seen as Catholic or Jewish or something that we've lost a lot of the importance of symbolism. It's not all empty ritual - there's so much you can teach children through things like this! Anyway, here are some photos of this year's celebration - my parents' Sunday school class also attended this year. Victoria loved it! As the youngest child (able to speak well), she got to ask the "four questions" and find the afikoman.
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Passover
Several years ago, the local Methodist church held a Seder supper (Passover) here in town. My parents went and were just very impressed with the whole thing. So, ever since then, we have celebrated Passover each year with them - usually just our family. As my mom says, we're not Jewish but through Jesus we were grafted into the vine! I love the symbolism of it all - I think Baptists have moved so far away from anything that might be seen as Catholic or Jewish or something that we've lost a lot of the importance of symbolism. It's not all empty ritual - there's so much you can teach children through things like this! Anyway, here are some photos of this year's celebration - my parents' Sunday school class also attended this year. Victoria loved it! As the youngest child (able to speak well), she got to ask the "four questions" and find the afikoman.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I LOVED it when our church did a Passover Seder a few years ago...the symbolism is truly amazing. (Not that I'm attending a Baptist church these days! Haven't for a long time). Even parts of the ritual meal that are extra-Biblical still point to Jesus. God's grace abounds.
Post a Comment