Monday, September 5, 2011

Montessori? (or something like that)

Our beloved principal (aka Daddy) is very interested in Montessori education, so he's got me researching ways to implement some Montessori activities into our school day. One of the first grade PE TEKS is balance, so we've drawn a big chalk circle on the patio and we have different balance activities we do with that - walking heel to toe, walking with arms in the air while staying on the line, etc. (control of movement, it's called in the Montessori Primary Guide www.infomontessori.com ). I've also been having the kids do a lot more independently as far as preparing food (practical life skills). I'll be starting some math activities with Victoria soon using the methods I've studied as well. But probably my favorite part of the Montessori sites I've looked at involves sensory activities (countingcoconuts.blogspot.com has some amazing ideas on sensory tubs that I hope to incorporate this year). Anyway, here are some of the things we're doing - pouring beans (little sis could do this all day long, big brother, as I mentioned, lasts about 2 minutes)


And here's big brother with the pom poms. He has to sort them by color or size, then he stuffs them into a small hole I cut in the top of the empty sour cream container (little sis just stuffs and again she loves to do it over and over and over!)

I'm not really sure how much of our day would really be considered Montessori, but it's interesting to incorporate new ideas and we're having fun! :)

No comments: